Sign Installation: US Capitol
Contractor: The Architect of the Capitol (AOC)
Provide training and access expertise for the installation of the American flags that served as the background for President Obama’s 2009 inaugural platform
- The sandstone cornice that had been used for the rigging point for the previous inaugurations was recently deemed insufficient for rigging a stage.
- Extensive security measures were implemented due to the unique nature of this inauguration.
Modular platforms powered by traction hoists provided access to the Capitol’s exterior. This equipment was rigged with 5×5 beams supported by Outrigger Beam Support Frames (OBSF) to transfer the load to the roof structure and custom-engineered 36 in. (914 mm) cornice hooks to bypass the sandstone cornice. Hoists were mounted on crossbeam assemblies to allow for adjustments in the spacing between rigging points. AOC workers completed Spider’s Competent Person Training course. Spider delivery and rigging personnel passed FBI background checks to access the site and performed more rigorous onsite equipment inspections to ensure safety and security on this sensitive project.
- SpiderMod Modular Platform
- Outrigger Beams
- Outrigger Beam Support Frame (OBSF)
- Cross Beam Assembly
- Competent Person Training