Rolling Blind Installation: Vancouver Convention Center
Vancouver, BC Canada
Contractor: PCL Constructors Westcoast, Inc.
Provide access for the installation of rolling blinds above escalator.
- Extremely tight timeframe required to minimize impact on guests staying at the convention center.
- No power on site for electric hoists.
- Structural conditions made it difficult to access rigging points for the swing stage.
- Glass panels and a decorative wood ceiling demanded a safe yet delicate solution.
A 31 ft (9.5 m) platform powered by manual hoists was installed and rigged on a Saturday morning and dismantled just three days later with no disruption to the busy convention center’s guests. Prior to rigging, wood planking was installed to create a walkway to access structural supports. After Spider’s swift mobilization, the contractor was able to get to work the same day.
Spider’s solution saved PCL over $2,500 off their original budget, and enabled the work to be completed within the carefully planned timeframe with little to no disruption to the convention center’s business.
- SpiderMod Modular Platform